Thursday, May 8, 2014

Not exactly a poem..

I am Atlas, bearing the burden of the dark skies upon my back, but I, however, am none too noble. The heavens, they are crashing from their place high above. I have never been to a confessional, but my soul cries for repentance nonetheless. The weight of the cave in I have caused with my own two hands frightens me, and my recklessness fills me with shame as the whole world watches my Icarus-like flight. My lips are black with soot, a cut on my bottom one in the shape of a small geometric hourglass. How fitting?  If I push the rubble aside, they shall surely find me. And if they find me, among the wreckage, they will pump me for an alibi that does not exist, desperately hoping to find some way to clear me of the allegations they are too afraid to speak. If I cry out for help, who would come? Those who I've buried with myself? The paralyzing venom of my shortsightedness has my heart frozen solid. If I sit here, counting the stars through the holes in the boulder-sized bits of mountain that rest above me, I could retreat into the depths of my mind. I could refashion a world in which I was dancing, and carefree. I could deceive myself with the illusion of another life. But I've traced those lines before, and it's gotten me nowhere. I breathe in and out. The pressure on my back causes a strain and my rib makes an audible crack.
I moisten my lips, tasting dirt and feeling filth on my tongue. The stars, like eternal fireflies millions of centuries away, stare at me, knowing my vices. I breath in deeply and scream.
"I'M SORRY"
Over and over again my voice rings out, the anthem of some long awaited revolution. Catharsis. My cheeks are wet and my throat burns.  Though I cannot form coherent thoughts, a single hunger tears at my soul like a ravenous wolf. The stars I can bear, the eyes I cannot. I shall unburden my soul and as I do, perhaps it shall rise, like the mystical Aether to the heavens. As long as I have sins to set loose from my lips, I shall have breath in my lungs. My voice cracks as I whisper.
"Confession one.."

No comments:

Post a Comment